Novopodolskoye Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Driving from the village of Novopodolskoye towards the village of Vakulove (Zhovtnevoye), after 500m, on the right along the planted trees there is a cemetery (30 meters from the road in the field).
GPS coordinates
47.92088, 33.90599
Perimeter length
278 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The site of the cemetery has been ploughed. According to local residents, the cemetery was demolished between 1970 & 1975. The land was simply leveled and used for agricultural needs. There is also an mass grave site in the village.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to local residents, the cemetery was demolished in the 1970s. It is marked on the maps from the 1860s-70s and 1941. Therefore  it can be stated that the cemtery was established no later than the second half of the 19th century.

There is not much information available about the Jewish community of Novopodilske. It was established as a Jewish agricultural colony. In 1858 there were 619 inhabitants, of which the majority of them were Jewish. In 1885, the rabbi was Benjamin Knyazhik. In 1887, there were 41 Jewish households, out of the total 48.

In 1899, there was a synagogue, a school, a wholesale wine & alcohol store as well as 2 shops. The Jews of Novopodilske were involved in small-scale trading and crafting. In 1926, there were 354 residents. In 1929, a kolkhoz was established and 49 households were united (24 Jewish among them).
In 1938, a Yiddish school was closed.

Novopodilske was occupied in August 1941. In May 1942, 450 Jews from Novopodilske and the area were executed.

There is no information about the modern Jewish community of Novopodilske.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It is likely that it was established in the late 19th century. The cemetery is marked on the maps of the region from the 1860s-70s and from 1941. There are no gravestones remaining at the site. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished in the 1970s. The cemetery site is today used for agricultural needs.

3D model