Norynsk Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located behind No.7 Zaliznychnaya street, in the woods.
GPS coordinates
51.27183, 28.57866
Perimeter length
289 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced. A moat is clearly visible.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is located in woodland and although the wood is not dense, branches and leaves fall on the tombstones. There is no entrance to the cemetery, entry is through the vegetable gardens (field). There are several fallen gravestones.
Number of existing gravestones
There are about 100 gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1802 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1904 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the early 19th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1802. The cemetery is not marked on maps.

Jews first began to settle in Noryns’k (Ukr. Норинськ, Rus. Норинск, Yid. נאָרינסק) in the early 17th century. However, the community was destroyed in the Chmielnicki uprising of 1648–49 and did not reemerge until the early 18th century. In 1897, the Jewish population was 584, which was 35% of the town, at which time the community maintained a synagogue. The Jews of Noryns’k suffered a number of pogroms during the Civil War of 1918–21. Zionists were active in the town in the early 1920s.
The Jewish population declined in the interwar period, and after the German invasion of the USSR in 1941, the Jews who had failed to evacuate were murdered. After the war, some of the Jewish residents returned to the town.
The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however the oldest tombstone dates back to 1802.