Niemirow Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Podlaskie Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is located several dozen meters behind the Catholic necropolis - on the former road to Wołczyn/Воўчын (now a dirt forest road) on the right, by the Bug River. It is about 200-300 meters from the Polish-Belarusian border.
GPS coordinates
52.284198, 23.174688
Perimeter length
324 metres. The perimeter is not precise due to the lack of information about exact boundaries of the former cemetery in Niemirów.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
It is a demolished, overgrown Jewish cemetery that has not been built over. The area was ploughed and planted with birch trees (which was a hallmark of the former cemetery, as such a monoculture birch forest grows only in this area). No tombstones have been preserved.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones have been preserved. The cemetery was liquidated after 1945, probably due to the proximity of the border with Belarus.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Niemirów is located about 650 meters southeast of the town center, between an extension of Brzeska Street and the Bug River, near the Catholic cemetery. It is approximately 400 m west of the Polish-Belarusian border. The date of the cemetery’s foundation is unknown. The cemetery was probably established in the first half of the 19th century. The devastation of the necropolis probably began during World War II. According to unconfirmed information, some matzevot (sacred pillar or tombstone) were used between 1939 and 1941 to build fortifications for the so-called Molotov Line formation. After 1945, the area was afforested. As a result of far-reaching destruction, almost all above-ground traces of the cemetery vanished. In the area, there are few stones, including the ones bonded with concrete mortar. The cemetery is unfenced and its former boundaries are invisible. The area is covered with a mixed forest. There is no form of commemoration of any kind. The owner of the area is the State Forests, the Nurzec Forest District. Restitution proceedings are pending. The facility is listed in the Provincial Register of Monuments.

The first Jews settled in Niemirów probably at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1807, 107 Jews lived in the town, in 1897 – 157 Jews, in 1921 – 149 Jews (19% of the total population). Most of them were killed during World War II.