Nemyriv Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Cemetery does not have an address. The cemetery is located north of 15 Vedybidy Street.
GPS coordinates
48.97661, 28.83595
Perimeter length
585 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is unfenced, but it is surrounded by a ditch.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is located on a slope, with a portion of the tombstones located in the woods. The cemetery is covered with seasonal vegetation, but it is otherwise well-maintained. Part of the site is used for livestock grazing.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 700.
Date of oldest tombstone
1912 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1938 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is an Ohel without a roof on the site, surrounded by a small fence.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the 17th century. It can be found marked on a map of Western Russia from the 1900s.

The first known Jewish community dates to the 16th century. The Jewish community suffered during the Khmelnytsky uprising, with 6,000 Jews killed on June 20, 1648. At the beginning of the 18th century a large synagogue was built and in 1764, there were 602 Jews residing there.
At the turn of the 19th century Jews owned a large distillery, dyeing facilities, knitting mills, hide-processing plants as well as other businesses.
At the beginning of the 19th century Nemyriv was the home of many Breslov followers.
According to the census of 1847 the Jewish population of Nemyrov numbered 4,386 Jews and according to the census of 1897 the population had increased to 5,287 Jews, out of the total of 8,902. In the 1920s there were some cooperatives, and a kolkhoz. In 1926 Nemyriv was home to 4,167 Jews, which was 57.2% of the town. In the 1930s there was a Jewish school and an orphanage. By 1939, there were 3,001 Jews living there.
Nemyriv was occupied on July 21st 1941. In September a ghetto was established. The ghetto inmates were used for heavy labour. Around 1,000 Jews were brought from Transnistria to the ghetto. In total some 3,460 Jews were killed, most of whom were from Nemyriv.
Some Jews returned to Nemyriv after the war, however as of 2012 there were only some Jews residing there.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the 17th century. The cemetery is marked on the maps from the 1900s of the region. The earliest gravestone found dates from 1912, the most recent to 1938. There are around 700 gravestones. There is an Ohel without a roof, surrounded by a small fence. The cemetery is abandoned, its land is used for cattle grazing.

3D model