Nemyriv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
To the right of the house on 22, Yavorivska Street, take the road which leads to the the cemetery after 200 metres.
GPS coordinates
50.09854, 23.43715
Perimeter length
320 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by an iron fence with a gate.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well-maintained. It requires re-fencing.
Number of existing gravestones
About 1000
Date of oldest tombstone
1780s (earliest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery were founded in the 16th century. It was marked on maps from the 1780s. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII.

Jews were settling in the town from its foundation in 1570. The inhabitants of the town suffered from great fires of 1655 and 1834, significantly damaging the town’s infrastructure. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the main spheres of the employment of the Jews were trade, renting and craft. The construction of bathhouses increased opportunities to find a service job in spa resorts. The Jewish population reached 1,445 (55% of the total population) in 1880. During WWI, many buildings owned by Jews, as well as the ancient synagogue, were ruined. The Jewish community decreased to 1,298 (53% of the total population) by 1921. In 1941, the Jewish population grew to 2,500 because of refugees from Poland who settled here. The deportation of 1,000 Jews to the extermination camp Belzec took place in late July 1942. The 1,000 Jews that remained were expelled to the Rava-Rus’ka ghetto.

3D model