Nemencine Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Utena County
Site address
The cemetery is located in the woods to the west of Piliakalnio g. Street.
GPS coordinates
54.85447, 25.46982
Perimeter length
132 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. There is some seasonal vegetation on the site.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1903 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1907 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to the Culturos Vertubiu Registras, the cemetery was established in the 18th century.

It is likely that Jews began to settle in Nemenčinė (Pl. Niemenczyn) after the expulsion of Russian Jews from villages in May 1882. In 1885, the Jewish population had already reached 340, while the total number of inhabitants was 471. The Jews established a congregation, built a beit-midrash and opened a cheder. R. Yaakov Halevi Kopstein became the community’s rabbi in 1884 and served the congregation for almost half a century. During WWI and the turbulent years following the collapse of the Russian Empire, the community endured hardships and was often subjected to violence. Community life was restored in 1920 with the help of the JDC and YEKOPO (Jewish Committee to Aid Victims of the War). Nemenčinė natives who had moved to the US funded the construction of a new beit-midrash. Zionist organisations were active in the town, and a Hebrew primary school, where most of the children studied, was opened. During WWII the town was briefly under Soviet control. The Germans arrived in late June 1941. On September 20, most of the Jewish residents of Nemenčinė were murdered in the forest. A few were able to escape and join the partisans.

3D model