Nelipyno Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located by the railway on Zelena Street.
GPS coordinates
48.55367, 23.01503
Perimeter length
107 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Three sides of the cemetery are surrounded by an old metal fence of 1,5 metres height, and one side is fenced by a new concrete fence of the same height. There are also remnants of an old stone wall on the one side.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well-maintained. The site is used for cattle grazing.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Nelipyno was established in the late 19th century. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to 1875 and the latest one to 1964.

The first Jews arrived in the area of Nelipyno in the first half of the 18th century. By 1830, nine Jews were living in the village. In 1851 there were still nine Jews. In 1880 the Jewish population had increased to 209 (26,3 % of the total population). And by 1893 there were 300 Jews. By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had increased to 496. Jews were involved in the day-to-day life of Holubyne: some of them were tradesmen and artisans. By 1930, 542 Jews were in Nelipyno. In March 1939, the Hungarian forces occupied the town, and the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. 672 Jews were living in Nelipyno in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In August 1941 some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to German-occupied Kamyanets’-Podils’kyy and shot there. The remaining Jews of Nelipyno were deported to Auschwitz in mid-May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.

3D model