Nekrasove Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Starting at 19 Nekrasova Street, drive 90 m to the west, turn right, drive a further 650 m. At this point, turn right and carry on for a further 200 metres, then turn right and continue for 50 metres, at which point the cemetery can be found.
GPS coordinates
49.20977, 28.21303
Perimeter length
497 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery was demolished, but it is unknown where the tombstones were taken. The site is now occupied by a lake and a field. The cemetery was demolished, but it is unknown where the tombstones were taken. The site is now occupied by a lake and a field.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the most recent burial took place in 1941, and the cemetery was demolished in 1954. In 1980, during the construction of the highway, a section of the cemetery was converted into a sand pit. It can be found marked on a Russian map of the region from the 1900s.

The town of Nekrasove was first mentioned in 1431 under the name Salishy. In 1758 it was renamed to Yuzvin.
In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia). In 1847, 323 Jews lived there. In 1885 Yuzvin had a mixed Ukrainian-Polish-Jewish population of 1510 people, living in 151 households, a synagogue, an Orthodox and Catholic churches, a school and 4 inns. In 1887, 710 Jews lived there which was around 30% of the town’s population, in 1897 this had fallen to 445 of 1920 which was around 25%. In 1914 Jews of Yuzvin owned a pharmacy, 4 manufacturing shops and 8 grocers.
After 1922, Yuzvin became a part of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR.
In July 1941, Yuzvin was occupied by the German and Romaniantroops. On March 2 1942, all 97 Jews who still remained in Yuzvin were shot to death.
In 1946, Yuzvin was renamed to Nekrasove and in 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Nekrasove became a part of the independent Ukraine.
The Jewish cemetery of Nekrasove was demolished in 1954.