Narodychi Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located 350m north of No.2 Shevchenko Street 2. The cemetery is on the right.
GPS coordinates
51.20777, 29.06164
Perimeter length
401 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is fenced along the entire perimeter with a concrete fence 1.5m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is very well maintained. The grass is cut. On the territory of the cemetery there are tombstones made of wood. There is one mmz.
Number of existing gravestones
About 80.
Date of oldest tombstone
1914 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2013 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact date of the cemetery’s establoishment is unknown, however it is marked on a map from the 1900s, therefore ti was likely established in the late 19th century.

Narodychi (Ukr. Народичі, Rus. Народичи, Yid. נאַראָדיטש) had 4 Jewish taxpayers recorded as early as in 1629. In 1765, there were 241 Jewish taxpayers in the town and the neighbouring area. The fire of 1853 destroyed two synagogues and 156 Jewish houses. The Jewish community maintained two prayer houses in 1885. In 1897, Narodychi had a Jewish population of 2,054, which was 45% of the total population. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the Jewish community suffered from pogroms and looting. A Jewish school was opened in 1921. Zionists remained active in the 1920s. The Soviet authorities founded 2 collective farms with mostly Jewish membership. In 1925, Jews from Narodychi started an agricultural colony in the Kherson District (Chervony Truzhenik). There were 1,233 Jews in Narodychi in 1939. After the German invasion of the USSR, some of the Jews managed to flee. Most were murdered in August–November 1941. Only around 100 Jews returned after the war. According to the 2001 census, a few Jews still lived in Narodychi.
It is not known when the cemetery was founded. It is marked on maps from around 1900. The earliest identifiable date on a gravestone is 1914. About 300 Jewish children were shot and buried in the cemetery in 1941. The current monument on the mass grave was erected in 2012.

3D model