Nagyszekeres Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish section is in the municipal cemetery, on Komáromi Street. It is on the right hand side, behind the church.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
General site condition
The Jewish section is an abandoned area within the cemetery, it is covered with dense vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
2 gravestones: 1 standing and 1 broken.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Nagyszekeres was established as early as 1865, since the oldest of the two tombstones found in the cemetery dates to that year. The other tombstone was erected in 1926. Currently, the cemetery is within the territory of the municipal cemetery.
According to census data, 10 Jews lived in Nagyszekeres in 1840 and in 1880. Since 1885, the community was affiliated with the Fehérgyarmat Jewish community. In 1910, the Jewish population peaked at 21, after which it decreased, being 18 in 1920, and 15 in both 1930 and in 1941. According to the Yad Vashem database, about 20 Jews from Nagyszekeres were murdered in the Holocaust.