Nagyecsed Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Nagyecsed was established as early as 1901 – the year which is marked on the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery. The latest tombstone was erected in 1928. The cemetery is fenced, and some of its tombstones were restored, to which the names of Holocaust victims were added.
The Jewish community in Nagyecsed was founded around 1740 and came under the jurisdiction of the Nyírmeggyes Jewish community for many years. In the 1850’s, 16 Jews, accounting for 1.23% of the total population, lived in the settlement. The synagogue was built around 1850. The Jewish population in the settlement steadily increased in the following decades, with 117 Jews in 1880, 355 in 1910, 533 in 1930, and 586 in 1941. The Status Quo Ante Jewish community of Nagyecsed had 569 members, including 59 of whom taxpayers. They did not have a rabbi. The Jews of Nagyecsed were taken to the Mátészalka Ghetto and later deported to Auschwitz.