Nagydobos Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The Jewish cemetery is located near to the junction of József Attila and Temető streets. It is in front of the municipal cemetery.
GPS coordinates
48.05187, 22.30003
Perimeter length
206 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Minimal caretaking is seen but overall the site is pretty neglected. A path leads across the cemetery. It is mostly overgrown with grass and bushes.
Number of existing gravestones
41 gravestones: 34 intact & 7 fragments or pedestal bases.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Nagydobos was established as early as 1891, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery was erected in 1939. The cemetery has not been fenced.

Jews first settled in Nagydobos in the first half of the 19th century, most of whom were engaged in petty trade. In 1830, the synagogue was built and the Jews of Nagydobos became an independent community. They later joined the Mátészalka Jewish community in 1885. According to census data, 155 Jews lived in Nagydobos in 1840. In 1880, the Jewish population was 227 and peaked at 237 in 1910. 196 Jews lived in the town in 1920, 139 in 1930, and 148 in 1941.

According to the census of Hungarian communities, the rabbi of the town was Rabbi David Jungreiz, who was also the head of the court in Nyírmeggyes. In April 1944, the town’s Jews were gathered and imprisoned in the synagogue where they were held for three days without food. From there they were transferred to the Mátészalka Ghetto along with 18,000 Jews from the district. At the end of May 1944, they were sent to the Auschwitz concentration camp. After the Holocaust, no Jews return to Nagydobos.