Mynkivtsi Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located adjacent to the house at 16, Zarichna Street.
GPS coordinates
48.84471, 27.11170
Perimeter length
958 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There are remnants of an old stone wall with metal gates.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing and re-fencing. The cemetery site is divided into two sections. The old section is located in the woods.
Number of existing gravestones
About 1,000. Vegetation on the site does not allow to establish the exact number of gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
18th century
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest gravestone relates to the 18th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. Presumably, it appears on old maps.

Jews are known from the first half of the 17th century. During the Khmelnytskyi massacre, the Jewish community perished. In 1757, Talmud books were confiscated and burnt on the square in Kamyanets-Podil’skyy. By that time, a wooden synagogue was erected. The ideas of the Sabbateans and Frankism were spread in the local Jewish community. In 1765, 378 Jews were inhabitants of Myn’kivtsi. The first printing house in Podolia was opened there in 1796. In 1847, 1151 Jews resided. The Jewish population reached a peak of 2,196 Jews (67% of the total) in 1897. Jews were engaged in petty trade, joinery and oil pressing. In the 19th century, a brewery, paper mill and lime factory were rented by Jews. In 1835, three synagogues operated, by 1890, this figure increased to six. Hasidism predominated. The community collected taxes to hire a community doctor, provide education for children and charity. In the late 19th century, a Hovevei Zion group was established. The Bund and the branches of the Zionist organizations were active as well. The Jewish population dropped to 1,316 (30,3%) in 1923. In 1921, a Jewish kolkhoz and two artisan cooperatives were opened. In the 1920s, a branch of Hehalutz operated. A Jewish Council was created. Jewish children attended a Yiddish school.In 1939, 1,896 Jews (63,7% of the total) resided. On July 31, 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Myn’kivtsi. On August 30, 1941, 2,200 Jews were executed. The remnants were deported to Dunayivtsi ghetto, where shared the fate with other Jews. Few Jewish families returned after WWII. In the 1970s and 80s, the Jews of Dunayivtsi left for Israel and the US. In the 1990s, some Jews resided in Myn’kivtsi.

3D model