Mykolayivka-Novorossiyska Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
To reach the cemetery, exit the village. After about two kilometres, turn right and after around 1.8 kilometres, turn right after the end of the forest. After 260 metres, turn right and proceed for another 300 metres.
GPS coordinates
46.13907, 29.87624
Perimeter length
387 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was marked on a Russian map published in 1923, using data from 1916. According to Yizkor, the cemetery was entirely destroyed and its land was ploughed during WWII.

The first mention of the Jewish community of Mykolayivka-Novorossiys’ka dates back to the mid-19th century. In 1897, its Jewish population numbered 980 (36% of the total population). In 1844, a synagogue was established. By 1858, a hevra kadisha was operating. Two societies which cared for the sick and poor were functioning. In 1890, a Hasidic synagogue was opened. In 1890, a Hebrew school was founded by Rabbin M. Rebelsky, who was active in the community from 1904 to 1911. During the pogrom in October 1905, two members of the Jewish self-defence detachment were killed. In the early 20th century, a Jewish government school for boys and a private school for girls were active. In 1930, there were 806 Jews (29% of the total population) living in Mykolayivka-Novorossiys’ka. From late June to early July 1941, the majority of the Jewish population was deported to Transnistria. In August 1941, the remaining 80 Jews in the town were murdered.

3D model