Michalovce Jewish Cemetery in Straniany

Cemetery Information

Site address
200 metres from the municipal cemetery on Partizanska Street. The cemetery is in the woods.
GPS coordinates
48.77484, 21.94018
Perimeter length
277 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Type of the fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well-maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1895 (the oldest tombstone found by ESJF)
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

There was a small community in Straniany (over the Laborets river), which was dependent on that of Michalovce, but had its own rabbi and prayer house. The oldest tombstones on this cemetery date to the 1890s. It did not appear on a detailed map of the region from the 1880s. The cemetery most likely emerged in the late 19th century. It remained in use until 1925, when the Straniany was joined to Michalovce. From 1925, Straniany Jews used the cemetery on Hradek.
But, according to Yizkor book of Michalovce, there was an older Jewish cemetery in Straniany – which was also the first Jewish cemetery of Michalovce, which existed since the end of 18th century. Its location is unknown, but different sources agree that it was in Straniany. “The first Jewish cemetery was in Straniany, opposite the Red Wood. Later Count Sztaray gave a Hradek hill for that purpose” (Yizkor Michalovce, p. 31). Martin Molnár (dolnyzemplin.sk) mentions that Michalovce Hevra kadisha was founded in the Straniany prayer house in 1797, which can be connected to the first cemetery in Straniany. Emil Knieza, a Holocaust survivor from Michalovce, recalls: “Near Laboretz there was a still more ancient cemetery some say from the 16th or 17th century”. (Yizkor Michalovitz, p. 231). Additional research is required to determine its exact location.

3D model