Medzhybizh New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located on the south side of Kolhospna Street, in front of numbers 22, 20, and 19.
GPS coordinates
49.4429892, 27.3990346
Perimeter length
474 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by high concrete walls on 3 sides, with the 4th side being fenced by a low stone wall. A tall metal gate without a lock is built into the wall.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The newest part of the cemetery is severely overgrown with bushes and tall grass. The section around the ohels is clear and well-kept, while the rest of the cemetery is overgrown with tall grass. Nearby there are two water fountains for netilat yadayim. The low stone wall should be replaced with a tall concrete one which surrounds the rest of the cemetery, while the gaps in the concrete wall should be repaired. There is evidence to suggest sections of the concrete wall were stolen.
Number of existing gravestones
Around 1,000
Date of oldest tombstone
The oldest preserved tombstone is dated to 1845
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The site is home to Tsiyuns for the following individuals: Yaakov, son of Yeshayahu haLevi (died 1864); Khaim Eliyahu, son of Yaakov haLevi; Meshulam Natan; Dvorah, daughter of Mikhl; the child of Yuta Khaya (died 1877); Hannah, daughter of Tsvi Arie (died 1883); Yuta Khaya, daughter of Shaul Yissakhar (died 1871); Pesil, daughter of Tsvi Arie haKohen (died 1878); Hannah, daughter of Moshe and wife of Natan Horovitz (died 1937); Yentel, daughter of Natan Horovitz Sifrshtein (died 1936); and to the daughter of Meshulam Natan, whose name is unclear on the inscription (died 1916). There are two ohels. One is dedicated to Reyzil, daughter of Israel Shalom (died 1845); Tsiporah Gitel, daughter of Israel Shalom (died 1916); and Rabbanith Khaya Sarah Rivka, daughter of Abraham Yaakov (died either 1888 or 1908 - it is unclear from the inscription). The second ohel is empty.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. However, given the oldest tombstone dates to the mid 19th century, it can be inferred the cemetery was founded in that era. The cemetery was not marked on old maps.

The first mention of Jews in the region dates to the early 16th century. In 1509, Lieberman, a Jew, was appointed collector of royal taxes by King Sigismund I (“the Old”). By 1511, an organised Jewish community existed. In 1566, the Jewish community had privileges, which freed them from the payment of taxes and duties. In 1570, there were 70 Jewish householders in the city and a Jewish cemetery was laid. The great synagogue was built in the 16th century. By the beginning of the 17th century, the community in Medzhybizh became one of the largest in Podolia. The Cossacks raids attacked the Jewish community of Medzhybizh during the Khmelnitsky massacre in 1650 and in the early 18th century. The Jewish community of the town was represented by the rank of illustrious rabbins throughout the whole period of its existence. Baal-Shem-Tov, the founder of the first Hasidic community, resided here in 1740-60. His grave is a popular place of the pilgrimage in the Hasidic circles until today. In 1765, 2,039 Jews were inhabitants of Medzhybizh. Jews made a living by tailoring, shoemaking, blacksmithing, turning, locksmithing, weaving, jewelry, bookbinding etc. in the 18th – early 20th century. Doctors and pharmacist, musicians and carters were among the members of the local Jewish community as well. In the second half of the 19th – early 20th century, pogroms were staged. By 1897, the Jewish population had reached nearly 6,040 people (73% of the total). In 1900, the Zionist movement became active in the region. By the same time, a Jewish hospital was established. In 1914, a Jewish community maintained nine synagogues. There were three hotels, two bookstores, three pharmacies, and four lumber yards in the hands of the local Jews. The Jews of Medzhybizh went to war for the Russian Empire during WWI. David Wolfowich Bots was awarded the St. George medal and the St. George crosses of the 4th and 3rd degrees. In October 1917, a pogrom was staged. The pogrom in 1919, arranged by the Directory, claimed the lives of all the Jews remaining in the city. The Jewish population dropped to 3,553 in 1923. In 1921, “Ge-Halutz” assisted the Jewish youth to migrate to Palestine. In the interwar period, six heders and a Yiddish school operated. In the late 1920s, most of the synagogues were closed. In 1929, a Jewish kolkhoz was organized. In 1939, 2,347 Jews (51,64% of the total population) resided here. Bikur holim and hevra kadisha continued to operate semi-legally. On July 8, 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied the city. 1,000 prisoners in the ghetto, created in autumn 1941, were executed on September 22, 1942. Many of the Jews in Medzhybizh died of hunger and typhoid in winter of 1941–42. Several Jews were saved by the Ukrainian peasants. In 1950, the Great synagogue was ruined. In 1967, a monument was erected in the place of the execution of Jews. In 1988, five Jews remained.

3D model