Marki Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Masovian Voivodeship
Site address
The Jewish cemetery is located in a forest along the western side of Spacerowa Street. The area is situated across the street from 60, Spacerowa Street.
GPS coordinates
52.35102, 21.1015
Perimeter length
462 metres.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence.
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The Jewish cemetery is situated at the edge of the forest of Pustelnik, which is nowadays part of the town of Marki. The area is demolished and overgrown with pine forest and bushes. The cemetery was established before the outbreak of WWII at the end of the current Sienkiewicza Street. There are traces of heavy fighting during World War Two, the site is littered with foxholes for soldiers and bomb craters. No graves or written sources of the cemetery exist. It is likely that there were very few burials in the cemetery. Except for a raised boundary around the site no traces of the cemetery’s existence have been preserved.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The first confirmed records of Jews living in Pustelnik (a village incorporated into Marki in 1967), Marki, and Struga (a village incorporated into Marki in 1958) date to the beginning of the 19th century. The first synagogue was built in 1826. In the area of the present borders of Marki, there were large brickyards owned by Jewish entrepreneurs Henryk Doktorowicz, St. Halber, G. Goldberg, Erlichter, and Szpilbaum. According to the 1921 census, 156 Jews lived in Marki (6% of the total population), 368 in Pustelnik (14.5% of the total population), and 21 in Struga (3.2% of the total population).

In 1924, a design for a synagogue at Halber’s brickyard was proposed, but it is not known whether it was built. At the end of the 1930’s, Mosze Mendelshon was the rabbi in Pustelnik. In 1940, the Germans established a ghetto in Pustelnik, for which the Osinka brickyard of Henryk Doktorowicz and the nearby buildings were allocated. Jews from Marek, Pustelnik and Struga as well as people displaced from Długosiodło, Mława, Serock and Nasielsk were confined in the ghetto. In March 1942, the Jews of Pustelnik were deported to the Warsaw Ghetto, most of whom were killed by the Germans in Treblinka in the following months.

The location of the cemetery is unknown. According to various sources, it was established in Pustelnik, on today’s Pomnikowa Street or Sienkiewicza Street. The cemetery was likely established at the end of the 1930’s and probably only a few burials ever took place. According to the testimony of a resident of Marki, there was no mortuary at the cemetery. There is no detailed information about the history of the cemetery. The devastation of the cemetery likely began during World War II, and the area was developed over time. Due to the unspecified location, the cemetery is not listed in either the Municipal and Provincial Register of Monuments or in the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Mazowieckie Voivodeship.

Marki Jewish Cemetery
Marki Jewish Cemetery
Marki Jewish Cemetery
Marki Jewish Cemetery
Marki Jewish Cemetery
Marki Jewish Cemetery
Marki Jewish Cemetery