Malyn Oldest Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Vynnychenka Street No. 61.
GPS coordinates
50.7739, 29.2367
Perimeter length
266 мetres. The perimeter is specified according to the KSEN plan.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Demolished and built-up cemetery. Now this is the Malinsky bus station. None of the old residents remember about the cemetery and did not see it, but they say that there were rumors that there was a Jewish cemetery here. The cemetery has been demolished, now this territory belongs to the Malinsky bus station. It was not possible to establish the exact perimeter of the cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
0, A strange stone was found near the bus station that looks like an inverted tombstone.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to Commission on Preservation of Jewish Heritage, it was established in the 19th century. The cemetery is marked on map of 1900s. Presumably, it was demolished around the period of WWII, as the construction of a bus station and housing began in the 1950s.

Malyn (Ukr., Rus. Малин, Yid. מאַלין) had a Jewish population of 1,064 in 1847, and 2,547 (60% of the town) in 1897. As of 1885, the town had a synagogue and 5 Jewish prayer houses. During the Civil War, the community survived a pogrom. A Jewish school operated in the interwar period. There were 3,607 Jews in Malyn (32%) in 1939. After the German invasion in 1941, some of the Jews managed to flee the advancing German army. Around 1,000 were murdered in August 1941. The town had a quite large Jewish community after WWII – around 1,200 in 1959. As of 2001, there were 44 Jews living in Malyn and the neighbouring area.
The exact date of establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however according to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), it was established in the 19th century. The cemetery is marked on a map from around 1900. It is likely that it was demolished during WWII, as the construction of the bus station and the houses, which now stand in the place of the cemetery, began in the 1950s.

3D model