Malbork Jewish Cemetery
Jews first settled in Malbork in 1813. Six Jewish families came to the city at that time. In 1814, a religious community was formed and Wolff Leyser Aschenheim was elected its superior (Vorsteher). This election was approved by the town hall in February 1815. With the establishment of the religious community, in accordance with the decision of the Police Supervisor of May 1814, the burial place for the Jews was also established. On January 18, 1819, the Malbork commune sold the square (plot no. 33c) located within the Moczary (Hoppenbruch) area, 40 rods from Wielbark (Willenberg) to the Jewish community – now known as 71, 500-Lecia Street – an empty square at the cemetery of Soviet soldiers, which was also occupied by part of the Jewish necropolis.
The cemetery was enlarged only in 1876 (approved in 1878), when plot no. 33d was purchased for 600 marks. There were both stone and wooden matzevot in the cemetery, depending on the social status of the deceased. In 1852, a private Funeral Society “Chevra Kadischa” was established in order to properly fulfill the religious obligations concerning the deceased. The Society operated on the basis of its statute of December 21, 1852 (10 Tevet 5613, according to the Jewish calendar).
(State Archives in Malbork, www.malbork.ap.gov.pl/art,29,malborska-gmina-synagogalna-1814-1938)