Mala Seydemynukha Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Mala Seydemynukha
Site address
From No.26 Shevchenko Street, drive south-east for 500m, then turn right and continue for 170m and then the cemetery will be on the right.
GPS coordinates
47.12896, 33.00767
Perimeter length
255 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced, the remains of a stone masonry wall are visible.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The Jewish cemetery is adjacent to the municipal one. It is covered with seasonal vegetation. The locals know practically nothing about the cemetery. They remember it only in this state. There is no information about what happened to the rest of the gravestones.
Number of existing gravestones
There are about 20 gravestones. Almost all of the stones are broken and overturned. Many stones are readable.
Date of oldest tombstone
1889 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1940 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage (KSEN), the cemetery was established in 1877.  It is found marked on old maps, from the second half of the 18th century, of the region.

When a large number of new Jewish settlers arrived in Seydemenukha in 1840, it became clear that the old colony could not accommodate them all. In 1841, the colony of Malaya Seydemenukha (Little Seydemenukha) was founded adjacent to what was then called Bolshaya, or Great Seydemenukha (now Kalynins’ke). The original spelling was Seydemenukha (Ukr., Rus. Сейдеменуха) from Heb. שׂדה מנוחה, “Field of Repose”. The official name was changed to Shterndorf (Ukr., Rus. Штерндорф, Yid. שטערנדאָרף) in 1929, and reverted with a slight change of spelling to Mala Seydemynukha (Ukr. Мала Сейдеминуха, Rus. Малая Сейдеминуха) in 1944. It is the only place with a Hebrew name in modern Ukraine. In 1897 the colony had a Jewish population of 502 (97% of the total population). The community maintained a synagogue, several cheders, and a private Jewish elementary school. A two-year government school was opened in 1912. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the community survived several pogroms. The war was followed by famine, and the colony received aid from the ARA, the JDC, and other international organisations. Zionists were active until the 1920’s. Over 10 families emigrated to Palestine in 1924–25. In 1927, the colony became part of Kalinindorf Jewish National Raion. The synagogue was closed in 1928. A collective farm was created in 1929. In 1931, the total population stood at 578. The Germans captured the area in August 1941 and, on 17 September 1941, about 340 Jews were murdered. There were 44 Jews in Mala Seydemynukha in the late 1940’s.

According to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the cemetery was founded in 1877. It is marked on maps from the 1870’s. The earliest surviving tombstone dates to 1889.