Mala Hlusha Jewish Cemetery
Follow the main road east from Mala Hlusha and turn left on the highway. Drive north towards the Christian cemetery on the left side of the road. The Jewish cemetery can be found in the woods behind the Christian cemetery.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery site has been levelled. There are no old trees, with the oldest pines on the site being around 40-50 years old. No traces of the Jewish cemetery remain. No matzevot were found on the site of the Christian cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is no information on the foundation of the cemetery in Mala Hlusha, but it was presumably established between the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It appears on Polish maps from the 1930s. This cemetery was also used by the Jewish community of Velyka Hlusha. It was demolished during or after WWII.
In 1921, 97 Jews were living in Mala Hlusha, and, by 1939, their population had grown to 150 individuals. During a pogrom organised by detachments of S.N. Bulak-Balachovich, eight Jews were injured. In summer 1941, Wehrmacht forces occupied the village. Local Jews were deported either to the ghettos of Liubeshiv or Kamin’-Kashyrs’kyy, where they murdered in August 1942.