Makow Mazowiecki New Jewish Cemetery
The new Jewish cemetery in Maków Mazowiecki is located in the northeastern part of the town, about 650 metres northwest of the market square, at 26 Ciechanowska Street. The cemetery was established at the end of the 18th century. It is mentioned in the protocol of the visit to the Catholic parish in Maków Mazowiecki from 1781: “The Jews own […] cemeteries, that is, two old cemeteries outside the town, and the third one has been built recently.” According to the Cemetery Card, the cemetery was opened around 1870. No further information is available on the history of the cemetery. During World War II, the cemetery fell into disrepair. The last known burial took place in 1946 when the exhumed bodies of the Holocaust victims were transferred to the cemetery.
In the 1950s, a grain warehouse of the milling company in Ciechanów was built at the cemetery. Currently, it is used by Przedsiębiorstwo Handlowe Damian Spółka Jawna. No tombstones have survived in the cemetery. The borders are imperceptible and there is no form of commemoration. Some matzevot were used in 1987 to build a lapidarium in the old cemetery in Maków Mazowiecki. Tombstones found in recent years have been secured on the property of Wojciech Henrykowski and in the Center for Cultural Dialogue “Dom Wesołka”. The cemetery is listed in the Municipal and Provincial Register of Monuments.
The first records of Jews in Maków Mazowiecki date to the 16th century. In 1910, 6,131 Jews lived in the town (68.2% of the population), and 3,369 in 1921. In 1940, the Germans displaced some Jews to Węgrów, and at the end of 1940, they established a ghetto in Maków Mazowiecki. Most of the people confined there were murdered in KL Auschwitz-Birkenau in 1942. The mikveh and the synagogue have survived in the town until now.