Luhyny Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Luginsky
Settlement
Luhyny
Site address
Opposite the No.12 Bazarnaya street.
GPS coordinates
51.08261, 28.39528
Perimeter length
582 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is fenced on three sides with an iron fence 1m high. The fence has been destroyed.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The territory of the cemetery is covered with seasonal vegetation. Mostly, it is well-maintained. Memorial honored victims of Shoah. There is a cross on the territory for unknown reasons. Cattle is grazing on the territory.
Number of existing gravestones
About 200. There are likely many other gravestones under the dense vegetation.
Date of oldest tombstone
1928 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2019 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Low
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
There is a Tziyun.
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery establishment is unknown. The cemetery emerged no later than the second half of the 19th century, as according to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the earliest burials dated to 1842.  It is marked on the map from 1900.

Luhyny (Ukr. Лугини, Rus. Лугины, Yid. לוהין) had a Jewish presence during the Chmielnicki uprising of 1648–49, when 20 Jews are known to have fled the approaching Cossacs. Jews are mentioned again in 1721. In 1847, there were 1,154 Jews in Luhyny. The community had two synagogues in 1867 and by 1897, the Jewish population had reached 1,599, which was 64% of the total population. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the community survived several pogroms. At least on one occasion, in January 1918, looters were stopped by armed Jewish self-defense forces. 11 Jews were killed in the pogrom of 1919. In 1926, the town’s population was predominantly Jewish, and most of the city council members were Jews. As of 1933, the Jewish elementary school had 321 pupils. In 1939, there were 1,622 Jews in Luhyny (34%). Over 700 Jews were murdered by the Nazis in 1941. According to the 2001 census, a few Jews still lived in Luhyny.
Although it is not known precisely when the cemetery was founded, it is marked on maps from around 1900. The 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN) mentions mass graves in the cemetery, however there are no traces of mass graves that can be seen today.

3D model