Lonya Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located on Tisza Street, between the first two houses on the eastern side of the river.
263 metres. The exact perimeter is unknown. The stones are now located on a much smaller territory.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
There are many broken stones. However the grass is mown.
Number of existing gravestones
About 20 gravestones were located.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Lónya was established as early as 1902, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone in the cemetery was erected in 1942. The cemetery has not been fenced.
In 1880, the total population of the village of Lónya was 1,513, including 88 Jews. In the subsequent years, the Jewish population was as follows: 121 in 1910, 74 in 1920, and 61 in 1930. In 1941, among the village’s population of 2,161, 66 were Jews. There used to be a synagogue, which is now used a private home. The Jews of Lónya were deported from the Beregszász Ghetto on May 29, 1944.