Liudvinavas Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located on the banks of the River Sesupe, opposite the Liudvinavo parkus. The nearest street is Parko g Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Type of the fence
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is in good condition.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1899 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1940 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Given the oldest preserved tombstone is dated 1889, it can be inferred the cemetery was already in use by the late 19th century.
There were 8 Jews in Liudvinavas (Pl. Ludwinów, Yid. לודווינאָווע) as early as 1662, but the community began to grow only after the Jews had received a privilege from the king in 1742. In 1897, there were 369 Jews in the town, or 34% of the total population. A lot of the Jews left in the early decades of the 20th century. About 20 Jewish families remained in Liudvinavas at the time of the Soviet occupation in 1940. After the Germans arrived in 1941, all of the Jews were taken to Marijampolė and murdered.