Legrad Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Koprivničko-križevačka županija
Site address
The cemetery is located at 36, Petra Zrinskog Street.
GPS coordinates
46.29266, 16.86034
Perimeter length
174 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Half of the plot is maintained as a meadow, but the other half is neglected and is now overgrown with trees, rendering it impassable. The only surviving tombstone which could be examined can be found in between these two sections. Some graves remain in the forested area, bu they are severely neglected. Some graves are visible and it is likely there are tombstones scattered around the area. However, the dense roots and trees have hidden them from sight.
Number of existing gravestones
There is 1 visible tombstone without dates, and 5 graves in the forest, obscured by deep bushes which render them impossible to access and read.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Legrad is a municipality in northern Croatia, located north of Koprivnica and east of Ludbreg in Koprivnica–Križevci County. The earliest recorded mention of Legard was in 1384, and, in the 15th century, it received the status of a market square. In 1643, Ferdinand III granted the privilege of free trade to Legrad, and in the mid-17th century, it was briefly described as a city (civitas). At the beginning of the 18th century, Legrad was one of the most important and largest settlements in the region with a population of about 3,000 inhabitants. The city was famous for its annual fairs at which agricultural products from around the region were sold. Jews first settled in the city in the 19th century and the community was officially registered in 1820. The Jewish community built a synagogue, which was later abandoned before 1941, sold in 1947 and then demolished. The organized Jewish community ceased to exist by 1918 and, in 1931, only 30 individual Jews remained in the town. After the World War II only one Jew lived there.

The Jewish cemetery was built in 1867 and had about 20 tombstones.