Lask Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Lodzkie Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is located at the corner of Mickiewicz and Górna streets.
GPS coordinates
51.5904694, 19.1295576
Perimeter length
630 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is located at the corner of Mickiewicza and Górna streets. Currently, the area of the cemetery is occupied by the Secondary School, a Supermarket and single-family houses.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Old Jewish Cemetery in Łask is located near the intersection of Mickiewicza Street, Łaska Street, and Górna Street. The cemetery’s exact establishment date is unknown, though it was probably established in the 18th century. During World War II, the cemetery was completely destroyed. The matzevot were used by the Germans to pave about 300 metres of road in the village of Buczek. A market was then organized on the site of the cemetery. In the early 1960s, a school was built in the cemetery. The bodies were exhumed and transferred to the Jewish cemetery in Łódź and the New Jewish Cemetery in Łask. Currently, High School No 1 in Łask is located in the area of the cemetery.

Łask was first recorded as a village in 1356 and was granted town rights in 1422. Jews first settled in Łask as early as the 16th century, though the Jewish community only developed in the 17th century, following numerous privileges which were issued to the community by the owner of the town. The Jewish population continued to increase throughout the 18th century. By 1793, there were 1,327 Jews in the town, constituting 77% of the population. In 1921, Łask had 4,890 inhabitants, including 2,116 Jews, most of whom were Hasidim. In 1940, there were 3,366 Jews in Łask. In the same year, the Germans established a Judenrat in the town, headed by Zelman Kochman. On November 18, 1940, they established the ghetto, which was liquidated beginning on August 23, 1942, at the command of Hans Biebow. The Germans murdered about 70 people in the town around this time. 900 Jews were transported to the Łódź Ghetto, and another 3,000 to the extermination camp in Chełmno nad Nerem.