Lanivtsi Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located adjacent to 56, Novosilka Street.
GPS coordinates
49.86916, 26.09272
Perimeter length
170 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The northern part of the cemetery site is overbuilt with private houses. The southern part of the cemetery site is used as private gardens. There are the fragments of 5 gravestones found on the site.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It appears on a map in Yizkor’s Sefer Lanovits issued in 1970. It is unknown when the cemetery was vandalised.

Jews started to settled down in Lanivtsi at the end of the 16th century. The Jewish community emerged in 1767. In the 18th – early 20th century, the local Jews were engaged in trades, crafts and agriculture. In 1847, 523 Jews lived in Lanivtsi. In the second half of the 19th century, a synagogue operated. The Jewish population reached 1,174 (46% of the total population) in 1897. In 1905, a Jewish community suffered from a pogrom. Three synagogues existed by that time. Since 1917, the Zionist branches Revisionists, Mizrahi, Beitar, Ha-Halutz, Ha-Shomer Ha-Tsair were present in the town. In the 1920s, a yeshiva and a Tarbut school were opened. An amateur drama circle operated in the town. The Jewish population declined to 649 (30% of the total population) in 1921. On July 3, 1941, 60 Jews were murdered by the Wermacht troops immediately after they occupied the town. In February 1942, a ghetto was established. On August 2, 1942, the ghetto was liquidated, and 1,833 Jews from Lanivtsi and the surrounding villages were executed. In 2003, several Jews resided here.

3D model