Lanivtsi New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located on the crossroads of Hayova and Ukrainska streets.
GPS coordinates
49.85837, 26.10241
Perimeter length
306 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is fenced. Its north-eastern and north-western sides are surrounded by a concrete fence of one metre height, the other sides are surrounded by the fences of the private houses.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. The cemetery is maintained by Christian organization "Nebesa". Presumably, the neighbouring houses partially occupied the cemetery’s territory. The fence is in excellent condition.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1840 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1936 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
A Holocaust memorial sign is located adjacent to the cemetery site.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Presumably, the cemetery was established in the early 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the 1840s. First, it appears on Russian maps of the 1880s.

Jews started to settled down in Lanivtsi at the end of the 16th century. The Jewish community emerged in 1767. In the 18th – early 20th century, the local Jews were engaged in trades, crafts and agriculture. In 1847, 523 Jews lived in Lanivtsi. In the second half of the 19th century, a synagogue operated. The Jewish population reached 1,174 (46% of the total population) in 1897. In 1905, a Jewish community suffered from a pogrom. Three synagogues existed by that time. Since 1917, the Zionist branches Revisionists, Mizrahi, Beitar, Ha-Halutz, Ha-Shomer Ha-Tsair were present in the town. In the 1920s, a yeshiva and a Tarbut school were opened. An amateur drama circle operated in the town. The Jewish population declined to 649 (30% of the total population) in 1921. On July 3, 1941, 60 Jews were murdered by the Wermacht troops immediately after they occupied the town. In February 1942, a ghetto was established. On August 2, 1942, the ghetto was liquidated, and 1,833 Jews from Lanivtsi and the surrounding villages were executed. In 2003, several Jews resided here.

3D model