Kyblyary Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located in the western outskirts of the village, in an orchard.
GPS coordinates
48.59917, 22.54687
Perimeter length
280 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a metal fence.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is in good condition, and the territory is cleared of vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Kyblyary was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1873. The cemetery was in use after WWII, as evidenced by a burial from 1969.

Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Kyblyary in the early 18th century. In 1830, there were 169 Jews living in the town. In 1910, the Jewish population had risen to 150. By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population numbered 151. Jews were engaged in agriculture and commerce. In 1930, the town’s Jewish population numbered 132 individuals. Hungarian forces arrived in Kyblyary in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. There were 114 Jews living in Kyblyary in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Kyblyary were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.

3D model