Kuznica Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Podlaskie Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is located on a hill in the eastern part of the village, between Jagiellońska Street and Kopernika Street. From the eastern side, it adjoins road no. 19. The cemetery occupies a geodetic plot no. 510/1 of irregular shape and an area of 7798m2.
GPS coordinates
53.512985, 23.650740
Perimeter length
365 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a metal and concrete fence made of iron spans decorated with a menorah motif. Entry is possible through the destroyed gate on the side of road no.19. The height of the fence is about 1.6 metres.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The destroyed, fenced Jewish cemetery is not fully secured due to the totally destroyed gate. The area is densely overgrown in parts. In the late spring the grass is tall and thick, never mowed. Because of the proximity of the international road no 19, the territory next to the main gate is very littered and is also used as a public toilet. Some garbage was found in one of the graves and also in the southern part of the necropolis. In the central part of the cemetery there is a modern monument in the form of a granite boulder without inscriptions (it is likely unfinished). Area is littered, found garbage even in one of the graves. It is likely that there is contant vandalism and littering. The cemetery area is used as a public toilet (possibly by truck drivers).
Number of existing gravestones
3. 2 graves in the form of miniature ohels with an inscription board embedded in them as well as a concrete slab embedded in the soil, the only remains of the 3rd grave, were found. According to cmentarze-zydowskie.pl currently in the cemetery there are the tombstones of “Bejla, daughter of Elchanan, d. May 10, 1900 and Awraham Mordechaj, son of Nisen Nowodzielski, d. June 29, 1938”.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery in Kuźnica is located about 300 metres from the town centre, on a hill between national road No. 19, Kopernika Street, and Jagiellońska Street. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown, though it was possibly established between the 17th and 18th centuries when the independent Jewish community in Kuźnica was formed. The cemetery fell into disrepair during and after World War II. The area was used as a pasture and as a gravel mine. A power line was built through the cemetery. The list of cemeteries prepared by the Office for Religious Affairs in 1981 stated the following: “There is no fence. Tombstones are overturned. The whole area is covered with self-seeded plants.” The documentation also mentioned the area of the cemetery (1.1 hectares) and the date of the last burial (1945). In 1994, the road from Grodno to Białystok was built through the eastern part of the cemetery.

Currently, there are single, destroyed tombstones in the cemetery, including two in the form of inscription board covers. The oldest identified tombstone is dated 1900. In the central part of the cemetery, there is a modern monument in the form of a granite boulder without inscriptions. The boundaries of the cemetery are imperceptible. A part that covers an area of 7,798 square meters is surrounded by a fence made of iron spans, about 1 metre high, decorated with a menorah motif, and built between 1989 and 1996. The area is covered with grass and mixed trees. Due to its proximity to the border crossing, the cemetery is at risk for littering and further devastation. The cemetery is listed in the Municipal and Provincial Register of Monuments and in the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Podlaskie Voivodeship.

The first records of Jews in Kuźnica come from the 16th century. In 1921, 450 Jews lived in the town (42% of the population), most of whom were murdered during World War II.