Kuzmyntsi Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Starting at the northwestern exit of Kuz'myntsi towards Golubivka direction proceed around 800m along the fields to the west. The cemetery is located in the woods.
GPS coordinates
48.97363, 27.66247
Perimeter length
The cemetery occupies an area of approximately 100 square metres.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The fate of the missing tombstones is unknown. The cemetery is located in the woods and is overgrown with seasonal vegetation. Some stone fragments are scattered around the site. The cemetery is demolished. According to Mr Vladimirovich, the cemetery was still in use in 1983, at which point around 5-6 tombstones remained.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. However, according to locals, it was still in use in 1983, at which point around 5-6 tombstones remained on the site.

The town of Kuz’myntsi was first mentioned in 1504. From 1569, the region belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia).
In 1897, it had a Jewish population of around 50 people of the 1088 total population. In 1918, a pogrom in Kuz’myntsi claimed 6 Jewish victims. After 1922, Kuzmyntsi became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In 1941, Kuzmyntsi was occupied by German and Romanian units, and included in the Transnistria Governorate. A ghetto was established there, where 225 local Jews and others deported from Bessarabia and Bukovina perished; by September 1st 1943, only 128 remained.
The remains of the Jewish cemetery still existed in Kuz’myntsi in the early 1980s until the were demolished.