Kuzmyn Jewish Cemetery (Krasyliv District)

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery site is located on the hill at the end of Khmel'nyts'koho Street, near the bridge over the Sluch River.
GPS coordinates
49.69281, 27.08514
Perimeter length
359 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The land is used for cattle grazing.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably, the Jewish cemetery in Kuz’myn was marked on maps of the 19th century. It can be supposed that it was established in the 19th. According to locals, the cemetery was destroyed in the 1940s.

In 1847, 641 Jews were inhabitants of Kuz’myn. In 1865, two synagogues operated. The Jewish population stood at 830 people (24,6% of the total) in 1897. In 1914, a pharmacy, brick factory, tavern, bench, and mill were owned by the members of the Jewish community. The number of Jewish residents dropped to 453 in 1923, in the Soviet period. On July 7, 1918, the parts of the Ukrainian Army staged a pogrom in the town. In July 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Kuz’myn. On February 15, 1942, Jews of Kuz’myn were sent to Krasyliv and murdered there in July 1942.

3D model