Kupyn Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
To reach the cemetery, proceed on Bohdana Khmel'nyts'koho Street in the north-eastern direction. Cross the Turets'kyy bridge over the Smotrych River. Turn right and proceed for 50 metres. The cemetery is located on the hill on the left of the road.
GPS coordinates
49.10288, 26.58716
Perimeter length
402 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. The site is surrounded by a ditch and borders with gardens and fields. The northern and southern parts of the cemetery are in agricultural use.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1819 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1925 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel of Rabbi Aharon of Kupyn, a student of Rabbi Pinhas of Korets'.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the early 19th century. First, it was marked as a Jewish cemetery on an old map of 1917. Jews were present in the early 18th century. In 1765, 405 Jews were inhabitants of Kupyn. The first synagogue was built in 1865. The number of synagogues increased to three in 1889, and a Jewish cemetery was established. Hasidism predominated in the town. The Hovevei Zion and the Bund groups were active from the late 19th century. In 1897, the Jewish population increased to 1,351 (96,5% of the total) and decreased to 670 in 1923. The Jews were engaged in petty trade and crafts, such as pottery and brick production. In 1917, the Zionist organizations Hovevei Zion and Gehalutz were active. In March 1919, a pogrom was staged by the Red Army troops. In 1925, 35 Jewish families of Kupyn (96 people) were registered to move to the Kherson region. In the 1920s, a Yiddish school functioned. In the 1920s, a Jewish kolkhoz was established. In 1927, a mikvah was closed. The Zionist activity was restricted by the Soviet authority. In July 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Kupyn, and a ghetto was established. In October 1941, 300 Jews were murdered by Ukrainian collaborationist police units. They were buried in a mass grave at the Jewish cemetery. About 500 Jewish residents were executed in late 1942.

3D model