Kuniv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
To reach the cemetery, proceed in the southern direction from the edge of the town on P-26 road. Turn left onto a dirt road after a sawmill. Proceed to a mass grave memorial. The cemetery is located behind it.
GPS coordinates
50.23221, 26.36646
Perimeter length
391 metres. The perimeter includes the mass grave.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. Several gravestones are buried in the ground or covered in vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
30. Many gravestones are broken. There are a few dozens of gravestones' fragments.
Date of oldest tombstone
1870 (only dated found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it was marked on a Russian map of the 1880s as Jewish cemetery. Later, it appears on maps of the 1920s and 1939. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to the second half of the 19th century.

In the mid-18th century, 173 Jews were inhabitants of Kuniv. In 1865, a synagogue operated. The number of the Jewish population of 618 Jews in 1847, had tripled by 1897 and consisted of 1,661 people (56,5% of the total). Jews were engaged mainly in crafts and trade. In 1912, a Jewish association of savings and loan was established. In 1914, a pharmacy, three warehouses of pharmacy goods and 27 shops were in the hands of Jews. In 1923, a number of the Jewish population was 1,029. In July 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied Kuniv. On August 4, 1941, 159 Jews from Kuniv and Malaya Radogoshchi were shot near the Jewish cemetery. Hundreds of Jewish artisans were murdered in June 1942.

3D model