Ksaveriv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Leaving the village of Ksaveriv by Pobeda street, from the village sign drive 500m to the north-west, then turn right onto a dirt road, proceed for 370m, then turn right and then drive 230m between fields. The cemetery is on the left side in the woods.
GPS coordinates
50.97825, 29.13962
Perimeter length
480 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced, in some places a moat is visible.
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The territory of the cemetery is littered with trees and is covered with seasonal vegetation. There are no tombstones left, there is only a monument to the victims of fascism. There is a monument to the victims of fascism. There are no gravestones. According to a local old man, there was still a cemetery around 1970, with about 10 gravestones remaining. The date of destruction and the location of any gravestones is unknown. Now there is only a monument to the victims of fascism.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

he exact period of the cemetery establishment is unknown. It is likely to have operated before or during WWII, as there is mass grave memorial to the victims of the Shoah. According to the locals, the cemetery still existed in the 1970’s. The Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage made an expedition to this site in 1995. It was already demolished, therefore it can be presumed that the site was demolished between the 1970’s and the 1990’s.

According to tax records, Ksaveriv (Ukr. Ксаверів, Rus. Ксаверов, Yid. קסאַוועראָוו) had an organized Jewish community (kahal) as early as in 1772. The Jewish population was 330 in 1847, reaching 455 in 1897, which was 37% of the total population. The synagogue already existed in 1865. In 1919, during the Civil War, the community survived a pogrom. There were 448 Jews in Ksaveriv in 1923. A mikveh operated until the late 1920s. After the arrival of the Germans in 1941, any remaining Jews were murdered on 13 September.
It is unknown when the cemetery was founded. The cemetery is known to have also been used by the Jews from the nearby village of Skuraty. According to a local resident, the cemetery still existed around 1970. The monument to the victims of fascism may mark the location of a mass grave; however, this cannot be ascertained at present.