Kroscienko nad Dunajcem Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Krościenko is located on an escarpment on Sobieskiego Street. The cemetery was likely established in the 19th century and served as the burial place for Jews in nearby towns as well. During World War II, the cemetery was partially destroyed, and continued to deteriorate in the post-war years. Almost all tombstones have disappeared from the cemetery (the Nazis used some of the matzevot to build the floor of a warehouse for agricultural produce). In an area of 0.8 hectares, one tombstone has survived, which displays the name of Leopold Jehuda Krumholz – one of the richest inhabitants of Krościenko, who died on April 6, 1932.
There is also a mass grave in the cemetery from 1941-1942 as well as fragments of damaged tombstones and their foundations. The cemetery was neglected for several decades after the war. In 2018, thanks to the initiative and commitment of Dariusz Popiela, the cemetery was restored. A monument was erected displaying 256 names and surnames of Jewish inhabitants of the village, the mass graves were identified and secured, information and educational boards were placed, and the cemetery was fenced.
The beginnings of settlement in Krościenko dates back to the fourteenth century and a Jewish community was already in the village by the second half of the eighteenth century. In 1921, Jews constituted about 16% of the total population (241 people). Initially, the local Jews belonged to the Jewish community in Dobromil and then to the Jewish community in Ustrzyki Dolne (until 1876), at which time they were buried in the Jewish cemeteries in those towns. During World War II, some Jews were deported to the Nowy Targ Ghetto, and then to the Bełżec extermination camp. Many were also killed in mass executions in the village.