Krasnosielc Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Masovian Voivodeship
Site address
17, Młynarska Street.
GPS coordinates
53.0382199, 21.1566424
Perimeter length
470 metres.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence.
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The Jewish cemetery of Krasnosielc is situated on the northern outskirts of the village on the western bank of the river Orzyc. The site is demolished and overbuilt. Today, it is a private transport lot with barracks. No traces of the cemetery have been preserved and there are no tombstones.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Jews began to settle in Krasnosielc in the mid-18th century. In 1921, 921 Jews lived in the village (50% of the total population). In 1923, the descendants of emigrants from Krasnosielc founded the Warner Bros. Pictures, Incorporated film company in the United States. On September 5, 1939, the Germans murdered between 40 and 70 people in the synagogue, and on September 28, 1939, they expelled all Jews from Krasnosielec. The building of the former synagogue in the village is now used as a grain warehouse. In 1996, thanks to the initiative of David Shachar, a plaque displaying the names of 31 identified people who were murdered in 1939 was unveiled at the back of the synagogue.

The cemetery is located about 400 metres north of the market square, between the Orzyc River and Młynarska Street. The cemetery was likely established at the end of the 18th century. The first mention of its existence is in visit records from 1781 in the Krasnosielec parish which state that: “Today, Jews are allowed to own a cemetery and a designated place for the synagogue.”

The cemetery sustained significant damage during, and after World War II. Some matzevot were used to build stairs over the river. In the years of the People’s Republic of Poland, a pine forest was planted in the cemetery. Later, the land was used as the headquarters for the Agricultural Association Cooperative and the graves were dug up during construction. Currently, there is a warehouse and a transshipment facility in the cemetery. All above-ground traces of the cemetery have disappeared. While the boundaries are imperceptible, they likely partially coincide with a contemporary fence near the cemetery. In 1989, single fragments from the foundations of damaged tombstones were visible in the western area of the cemetery and there were remains in the north-eastern corner of the stairs to the cemetery caretaker’s building.

There is no information about the ownership status of the cemetery. The cemetery is not listed in the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Masovian Voivodeship and there is no form of commemoration.

Krasnosielc Jewish Cemetery
Krasnosielc Jewish Cemetery
Krasnosielc Jewish Cemetery
Krasnosielc Jewish Cemetery
Krasnosielc Jewish Cemetery
Krasnosielc Jewish Cemetery
Krasnosielc Jewish Cemetery
Krasnosielc Jewish Cemetery