Kosiv Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located behind the house at 42, Nezalezhnosti Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is fenced from the street side by a metal fence of two metres height on a stone foundation.
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The part of the cemetery around ohels is well-maintained. The other parts of the cemetery are severely overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing.
Number of existing gravestones
300. Vegetation on the site does not allow to establish the exact number of gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1744 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1918 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There are three ohels on the cemetery constructed by Ohaley Tsadikim union. One is dedicated to the family of Admor Khaim, author of Torat Haim, son of the founder of Vyzhnytsya Hasidic dynasty, his sons Admor Yaakov Shimshon and his son Moshe, author of Leket Ani, daughters-in-law Tsiporah and Khaya. The second ohel is dedicated to Menahem Mendil, son of Yaakov Kopil. The third is dedicated to Rabbi Baruh ben Abraham (died in 1800), author of Yesod haEmunah and Emod Habodah, and his wife Sarah (died in 1756). And there are few more tsyunim located outside the ohels of Khaim son of Mordekhai Asher Shapik died in 1842, Pinkhas son of Meir from Shepetivka (date of death is split off), Abraham Iber son of Shmuel died in 1824, (name is split off) Bendit son of Israel (date of death is split off), Rabbi Yehiel died in 1815, Rabbi Israel died in 1849, Rabbi Moshe Yoseph died in 1884, Rabbi Pinhas Yoseph died 1875 son of Dov Ber Shapiro and his son-in-law Khaim died in 1884.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to VAAD, the oldest preserved gravestone relates to 1712. The oldest gravestone found by ESJF expedition relates to the mid-18th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. First, it appears on Austrian maps of the 1860s and 1880s, later was marked on Polish maps of 1939.