Korsun Shevchenkivskyy Jewish Cemetery
17, Suvorova Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery site is surrounded by a 2 metre tall concrete wall with a metal gate installed in October 2015 by ESJF.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The older section of the cemetery is somewhat overgrown with tall grass. Multiple gravestones are located in a dense grove, some of which are partially sunken in the ground. The newer section of the cemetery is clear and well-maintained. There is refuse scattered along the fence.
Number of existing gravestones
Over 1,500. There are approximately 500 gravestones in the new section and roughly 1,000-1,500 in the older section.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
2019, still operational
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel dedicated to Rabbi Yehuda Leib of Korsun, son of Rabbi Zarakh haLevi, and next to him Rabbi Tsvi Hirsh Shlez, Head of the Yeshiva (no years of death provided). Yes. There is an ohel of rav Yehuda Leib from Korsun son of rav Zarakh haLevi and next to him Head of yeshiva of Korsun rav Tsvi Hirsh Shlez (no years of death).
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Lo Tishkakh database, the oldest tombstone dates to 1830. However, the oldest tombstone found by the ESJF survey team dates to the late 19th century. As such the cemetery was most likely founded in that period. It first appears on a Russian map of the region from 1923. The fence was erected by ESJF in 2015.