Kornytsya Jewish Cemetery
To reach the cemetery, proceed to the end of Horyns’ka Street. Turn left, and walk for about 160 metres. The cemetery is located in the fields, near Pan’s lake.
381 metres. According to locals, the cemetery occupied this perimeter.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is out of agriculture use. It is a wasteland now.
Number of existing gravestones
One broken gravestone and a few fragments were brought back to the site. Two gravestones are laying in the water, at the shore of Pan’s lake.
Date of oldest tombstone
1800 (only foudn by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but the oldest preserved gravestone relates to the late 18th century. First, it appears on Russian maps of the 1880s, and later it was marked on maps of 1920s and 1939.
Jews are first mentioned in the 17th century. During the Tatar raid of 1649, the Jewish community of Kornytsya perished. By 1765, nearly 300 Jews were inhabitants of Kornytsya. In 1865, a synagogue operated. The Jewish population stood at 517 (41,3% of the total) in 1897 and declined to 322 in 1923. In 1914, a warehouse of pharmacy goods and five stables were in the hands of the Jews. In late 1941, during the German occupation, the Jews of Kornytsya were deported to the Lyakhovtsy ghetto.