Kopayhorod New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located on Kazishvily street. Starting at 111 Tsentralnaya Street (Kopayhorods'ka Zosh I-Iii St. Im. O.s.pushkina), head 50 metres to the north-west along Lenina St. towards ul. Kazishvily, then turn right onto Kazishvily Street, continuing for a further 240 metres. The cemetery can be found to the left of the road.
GPS coordinates
48.86474, 27.79335
Perimeter length
344 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
A 1.5 metre tall wooden fence runs along the front side of the cemetery, while the other sides are unfenced, with a ditch marking the boundaries.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well maintained and divided into three parts. The newest (containing tombstones from after WWII) is the smallest. The majority of the mazevot can be found in the oldest section and bear predominantly Hebrew inscriptions. Only the front side is fenced. There are 3 mass burial graves.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 1,000.
Date of oldest tombstone
1896 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2013 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given the oldest preserved tombstone is dated 1896, it can be inferred the cemetery was already in use by the late 19th century.

The town of Kopaihorod was founded in 1624, and Jews are believed to have lived there from the very beginning. At that time the region belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia). In 1847, the Jewish community of Kopaihorod numbered 617 members, including the residents of neighboring villages, and by 1886 Kopaihorod had 3 synagogues. In 1897, Jews comprised more than half of the population, 1720 of 2950. In 1912, Jews founded a mutual aid fund and by 1913 almost all small businesses in Kopaihorod belonged to Jews. These included: both pharmaceutical warehouses, all 7 grocers, all 4 haberdasheries, all 3 hardware stores, all 3 tanneries, all 16 manufacturing shops, the only clothing store, the only gas store and both wood stores.
After 1922, Kopaihorod became part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. The Jewish council and a Jewish school were founded here. In 1926, 8 Jewish families moved to Kalindorf (Kherson region) and founded a Jewish kolkhoz. In 1939, the Jewish population of Kopaihorod was 1075 people, which was 36% of the total population.
In 1941, some Jews fled to the East but some remained behind. Kopaihorod was occupied by the Germans and Romanians in July 1941, and in September included in the Transnistria Governorate. The ghetto was established in Kopaihorod for the local Jews and deportees from Bessarabia and Bukovina. Many Jews were murdered or died of disease, starvation and forced labor before Kopaihorod was liberated in March 1944, with only some 2000 surviving.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Kopaihorod became a part of the independent Ukraine.
The new Jewish cemetery of Kopaihorod contains around 1000 graves. The earliest graves are from the start of the 20th century and it is still in use today.

3D model