Konskie Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Swietokrzyskie Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is located at the intersection on Sztaszica and Koneckich Odlewników streets.
GPS coordinates
51.200635, 20.401466
Perimeter length
79 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The former cemetery’s area was divided into smaller plots and it is now private property.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones have been preserved nor have any signs of the former Jewish Cemetery.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Końskie was founded as a town in 1748. Jewish residents began to settle there before that time, as the first written mentions of Jews dates to 1588. In 1790 Jews comprised 10.5% of the total population and, in 1827, Jews constituted over half of the population. They mostly worked in trade and craftsmanship, and—in later years—the metal industry. There were 5,037 Jewish residents in 1921, comprising 60.8% of the total population, according to the 1921 census. During World War II, a ghetto was established in the town where Jews from over a dozen other towns were transported as well. The ghetto was liquidated in November 1942. The Jews were then transported to the death camp in Treblinka. A smaller group was later transported to Szydłowiec in January 1943.

The Jewish cemetery was most likely founded in the second half of the 17th century. It was located beyond the town limits, northwest of the town square. Before the war, it was surrounded by a stone wall. Next to cemetery was the mortuary, as well as the Funerary Association (chevra kadisha). The cemetery was the burial site for Jews from other villages beyond the town, including: Czarna, Stąporków, Krasna, and Wąsosz. At the beginning of the 20th century the cemetery area was expanded. In 1925 it had an acreage of 2 hectares. During World War II, the cemetery was destroyed by the Germans. Tombstones were used by the occupying forces for many purposes including paving Partyzantów Street, building a swine feed yard, and building a tower in Modliszewice. Broken tombstones were also sold to residents for construction purposes. After the war the cemetery, absent all tombstones, was owned by the National Treasury. It was officially closed in 1965 and was under the purview of the local government. In 1994 the local government offered the plot in perpetual lease to Transport-Motor Labour Cooperative. In 1997 the area became privately owned. Currently a road passes through it and there are outhouses. It is surrounded by a concrete wall. In 2008 there were plans to build a bypass running through the cemetery but, after the intervention of Rabbi Michael Schudrich, the plans were modified. Tombstones found in the city continued to be brought back and placed in the cemetery. In 2017 the local government gave 11 acres on Staszica Street to be used to build a lapidary for the recovered matzevot.