Komarhorod Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Cemetery does not have an address. The cemetery is located in a wooded area on the corner of Shkil’na Street.
GPS coordinates
48.53882, 28.60425
Perimeter length
332 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is unfenced, but there is a visible ditch and embankment around the perimeter.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is severely overgrown and in need of clearance. Many of the tombstones are toppled.
Number of existing gravestones
Upwards of 200 (Given the extent to which the site is overgrown, it is difficult to obtain an accurate count of the tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1894 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1983 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to IAJGS, the earliest tombstones dates to 1826. As such, it can be inferred it was already in use by the first half of the 19th century. It can be found marked on a map of Western Russia from the 1900s.

It is known that Jews first settled in Komarhorod in the first half of the XVII century. The Jewish community suffered during the Khmelnytsky uprising. In 1765, the Jewish population of Komarhorod numbered 86 Jews. The rabbi was Shmirka Abramovich. According to the census of 1847 there were173 Jews living there. In 1852, there were 8 Jewish artisans and in 1853, the synagogue was established. By 1889 there were 2 synagogues. According to the census of 1897, the Jewish population numbered 481, out of the total of 1,909.
At the turn of the 20th century the rabbi was Itskhok Segal. From 1905, the rabbi was his son-in-law David-Mordkhe Rubinfine. In 1914, Jews owned a pharmacy goods warehouse and 5 small shops.
During the Civil war, some Jews escaped to Bessarabia. The Jewish population dropped in 1926, to 294 Jews and by 1941 there were 400 Jews.
Komarhorod was occupied in July 1941. On August 9th 1941, Romanian soldiers killed 7 Jews.
On October 15th 1941, the ghetto was established. After liberation, the Jewish community revived. It remained until the middle of the 1960s when the majority of the community left Komarhorod. In the middle of the 1990s the Jewish cemetery was restored.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to IAJGS, the earliest gravestone dates to 1826. The earliest gravestone found by ESJF dates to 1894. Therefore, it was founded no later than in the first half of the XIX century. The most recent gravestone dates to 1983. There are more than 200 gravestones. The territory of the cemetery is heavily overgrown.

3D model