Kolomyya Old Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located at 25, Antona Chekhova Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Three sides of the cemetery are surrounded by a metal fence of two metres height, and its northern side is surrounded by a stone wall.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Gravestones were brought back to the cemetery and piled behind the fence. There is a public park on the unfenced cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones
1700. All the found Jewish gravestones from both cemeteries are stored at the site.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Presumably, there is a closed ohel or caretaker’s house. There is a memorial wall with embedded remnants of the oldest gravestones. The Ohalei Tzadikim - Gader Avot union installed a memorial dedicated to famous rabbis buried on the site. It is dedicated to Rav Eliezer (died in 1861), Rav Hershon (died in 1862, an author of Avodat Hershoni, Rav Hilel, a son of Barukh Likhtenshtein, Rav Izhak Zeev (died in 1848), Rav Meir Simkha (died in 1845), Rav Menachem Mendel (died in 1862), Rav Mordekhai Ziskind (died in 1860) and Rav Meshulam.
The cemetery was established in 1826, but the oldest gravestone found relates to the mid-18th century. Presumably, originally it was located on the oldest demolished cemetery of Kolomyya. First, it appears on a cadastral map of 1859. In the 1860s and 1880s, it appears on 2nd and 3d military survey of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Later, it was marked on a Polish map of 1939. The cemetery was demolished in 1962.