Khyriv New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Staryi Sambir
Site address
Drive from Khyriv in the direction of Dobromil on Dobromilskoy Street. Opposite the Christian cemetery, turn left on to the dirt road. The cemetery is located on the left.
GPS coordinates
50.17089, 24.9084
Perimeter length
220 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There are remains of a stone fence.
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The site is neglected and overgrown with the high grass and bushes.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on a map from 1939. It can be supposed that it was operating in the beginning of the 20th century and demolished during or after WWII.

Khyriv was founded in 1528 and Jews were present here from then. The majority were engaged in trade and some in craft. In 1859, 574 Jews (31% of the total population) lived in Khyriv. The Jewish population reached 1,164 (40% of the total population) by 1900. In the early 20th century, the Zionist movement became active. The youth (“Noar Zioni”) and women associations (“Debora”) were popular. Before the WWI, many Jewish children attended hederim. In the post-war period, the Jewish population declined to 919 (35% of the total population) by 1921. In 1922, a Hebrew school was opened, in which 25 girls studied. During the Nazi occupation, the Jewish population of Khyriv was presumably liquidated.

3D model