Khoroshiv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located southwest of No.58 Nezalezhnosti street (gas station “OB”).
GPS coordinates
50.60052, 28.43442
Perimeter length
386 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
On the souther side there is a 1.2m high concrete fence with a metal bolted door (main entrance). On the western side there is a 1m high metal mesh fence. The northern side has no fence only thickets of vegetation and the eastern side is partially fenced with a wooden fence 1.5m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is overgrown. It requires clearing. There is no fence on the northern side and the wooden fence on the east side needs repairing.
Number of existing gravestones
There are around 200 gravestones. Many of the older gravestones are illegible.
Date of oldest tombstone
1918 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2015 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the first half of the 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1918.

Khoroshiv (Ukr. Хорошів, Rus. Хорошев) has been known by many names throughout its history: until 1912, Horoshky (Ukr., Rus. Горошки, Yid. אַראָשקע), between 1912–21, Kutuzovo (Rus. Кутузово), between 1921–27, Volodarsk (Ukr. Володарськ, Rus. Володарск), and between 1927–2016 Volodarsk-Volynskyi (Ukr. Володарськ-Волинський, Rus. Володарск-Волынский).
The town had a Jewish community in the 18th century. In 1897 the Jewish population was 2,018, which was 63% of the town. The Jewish community maintained 2 prayer houses as well as a loan fund. In the 1920s, the mikveh, the chadarim and the prayer houses were closed by the Soviet authorities. There were 988 Jewish residents (28%) in the town in 1939.
In the summer of 1941, many of the Jews were able to evacuate before the arrival of the Germans. The Jews who remained in Volodarsk-Volynskyi were murdered by September 1941. According to the 2001 census, there were 20 Jewish residents in Khoroshiv (then Volodarsk-Volynskyi) and the neighbouring area.
The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however the earliest identifiable date on a tombstone is 1918.

3D model