Khodorkiv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located behind the houses along Zhytomirs’ka Street No. 71 and 69, across the field. There is a separate entrance to the cemetery, but it often changes, since the owners of the fields cultivate the land.
GPS coordinates
50.10398, 29.27947
Perimeter length
506 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced, in places a moat is visible.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with dense seasonal vegetation, it is partially overgrown and it needs clearing.One part of the cemetery is heavily overgrown with dense trees and bushes, it is impossible to access. The second part of the cemetery is overgrown with grass. There are two mass graves on the territory of the cemetery. 1) 1918-1920 2) 1941
Number of existing gravestones
About 15. About 15 tombstones are visible in the open field, many of them lie in the ground.
Date of oldest tombstone
1870 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1965 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was esablished no later than the late 19th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1870. It cannot be found on maps of the region.

The Jewish community of Khodorkiv (Ukr. Ходорків, Rus. Ходорков, Yid. כאָדאָרקעוו) was destroyed during the Chmielnicki uprising of 1948–49. Jews returned in 1720, and the Jewish population grew to around 400 people in 1765. The Jewish community grew from 1,177 in 1847 to 3,672 (53% of the town) in 1897. The community maintained a synagogue and 2 prayer houses. The Jewish community suffered attacks during the Civil War of 1918–21. Around 200 Jews lived in Khodorkiv before WWII. Although some of the Jews were able to evacuate before the arrival of the Germans in the summer of 1941, 149 remained. They were confined in a ghetto and killed on 15 October 1941.

According to the 1994–95 survey by the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the cemetery may have been established as early as in the 18th century. The oldest tombstone dates back to 1870. After WWII, some of the stones were used for construction.

3D model