Kherson Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery site is located at the intersection of Filatova and Stritenskaya streets. Access is through No.10 Stritenskaya street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Fenced on the right hand side there is a concrete fence about 2m high. The left hand side is fenced with a net approximately 1.7m high. The northern and western parts of the cemetery are fenced by the walls of the garage cooperative.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The territory of the cemetery is covered with seasonal vegetation, it is well-maintained, but some of the gravestones are overgrown with thick bushes or vegetation. It is partially overbuilt. According to local residents, traces of vandalism were visible before the fencing of the territory. The vandalism stopped after the fence was installed. According to a local woman, the No.10 Stritenskaya Street and several other houses along the same street were built on the territory of the cemetery. According to the stories, pheasants live in the territory of the cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
There are about 500 gravestones. Many tombstones were smashed and dismantled.
Date of oldest tombstone
1906 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1981 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
There is a building on the territory, presumably an Ohel.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given that the oldest preserved tombstone dates to the early 20th century, it can be assumed that the cemetery was founded in that era. It is found marked on maps from 1941 of the region.