Kętrzyn Jewish Cemetery
In 1925 Rabbi Siebert Neufeldt wrote a travel report through the East Prussian Jewish communities. Under Rastenburg he mentions a Jewish cemetery, which was about 120 years old at that time (from about 1805). It had a cemetery hall and was located at the gas station.
The Jewish cemetery, which was probably heavily destroyed during the 1938 pogrom night, was located at the foot of the southern slope of the then Protestant cemetery. Today there are garages of public transport bus depots and perhaps partly garages of the State Fire Brigade. A fragment of a Jewish gravestone was found in a town pond and is exhibited in the local history museum, the Wojciech Kętrzyński Museum.
(jewsineastprussia.de; in cooperation 2020 with the association Blusztyn and historian dr. Seweryn Szczepański)
No further information on the history of the cemetery is available. The burials were organized by the Chevra Kadisha brotherhood – the Funeral and Charity Association, established in 1888. Its statutory goals also included taking care of visiting Jews. At the beginning of the 1930s, the president of the fraternity was Alfred Lewin, residing at Neuer Markt.
The object was destroyed. In the years of the People’s Republic of Poland, the area was taken over by a municipal cemetery, a stonemason’s workshop, a bus depot and Przedsiębiorstwo Gospodarki Komunalnej in Kętrzyn. During the earthworks in 1970, the graves were dug up. Apart from the remnants of old trees, all traces of the cemetery on the ground have been blurred. In October 2014, a plaque commemorating the Jewish cemetery was placed on the wall of the municipal cemetery.
The cemetery is entered into the Provincial Register of Monuments.
(K. Bielawski, cmentarze-zydowskie.pl)
The necropolis was one of the most extensive Jewish cemeteries in Masuria. It is possible that the cemetery was completely destroyed by the Nazis.